Monday 26 August 2013

Picnic Blanket Skirt

Remember these delicious handmade buttons I found a while ago?


Well, I was checking out the fabric shops in Leamington Spa when I came across the perfect fabric. Literally, perfect! See?
I wasn't planning to go so matchy matchy but it just seemed too much of a coincidence. It's a lightweight cotton, perhaps not quite as drapey as I'd like it to be for this skirt, but it's okay.

I decided to try out Tilly's Picnic Blanket Skirt, as it looked very simple and I've not done much gathering before so thought it would be a good little lesson in that respect. It also gave me a chance to practise some button holes, as I've only done a few before and struggled with placement, i.e. where the needle starts compared to where the buttonhole ends up! Think I nailed it though....




My lovely friend Ellen took this photo for me on a hay bale. As you do.
If you like the pattern, you can download it for FREE at Tilly's blog - it's not a pattern per se as the pieces are all rectangles, you just need to do a little measuring. 


Here it is:

I do find though that there is quite a lot of strain on the top button, which causes the two sides of the skirt tend to move into a V shape sometimes rather than sitting horizontally, so I'm planning to add another little secret button on the inside to try to keep it in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment